Dr. Ashok Balasundaram is a clinician scientist. He graduated with his dental degree (BDS) and Master’s degree (MDS in Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology) in India in 1995 and 1999 respectively. He then pursued his Master’s degree (MS) in Oral & Maxillofacial Radiology here in the US, graduating in 2005. He also obtained his DDS degree in 2006. He was full-time faculty in Oral & Maxillofacial Radiology at Detroit Mercy Dental and West Virginia University School of Dentistry, where he has taught pre-doctoral and clinical radiology courses. Dr. Balasundaram has participated in the CBCT radiology intra-mural private practice at Detroit Mercy Dental and West Virginia University School of Dentistry. He also solicits CBCT scans from imaging centers, specialty dental centers and dentists across Michigan to provide CBCT scan over-reads. Dr. Balasundaram was tenured at the Detroit Mercy Dental in 2014 and his area of active research relates to several applications of CBCT in dentistry. He has lectured at many forums on several aspects of CBCT. With his knowledge in oral pathology and oral radiology, he is an expert in oral diagnosis.
- Comparison of cone-beam computed tomography and periapical radiography in predicting treatment decision for periapical lesions: a clinical study. A Balasundaram, P Shah, MM Hoen…- International journal of…, 2012 –hindawi.com
- Radiographic diagnosis of synovial chondromatosis of the temporomandibular joint: a case report. A Balasundaram, JR Geist, SC Gordon…- Journal of the…, 2009 – academia.edu
- Novel CBCT and optical scanner-based implant treatment planning using a stereolithographic surgical guide: a multipronged diagnostic approach. A Balasundaram, D Gurun, A Neely…- Implant…, 2014 – journals.lww.com
- In vitro correlation of the level of inferior alveolar canal with CBCT imaging. ABalasundaram, GM Heir, FP Villegas… Surgical and Radiologic…, 2015 – Springer
- Hypopharyngeal lipoma causing obstructive sleep apnea: Discovery on dental cone-beam CT. A Balasundaram- ENT: Ear, Nose & Throat Journal, 2013 – search.ebscohost.com
- The effect of exposure reduction on the diagnosis of caries: An ex vivo comparison of film and a CMOS digital imaging system. JR Geist, A Balasundaram, SMRY Geist… – Journal of the…, 2010 – jicdro.org
- Significance of cone beam computed tomography based implant treatment planning and fabrication of stereolithographic surgical guides for implant therapy in… A Balasundaram, LW Seluk, E Benavides… – Journal of the …, 2012 – jicdro.org